Intercession Cathedral in Gatchina

Intercession Cathedral in Gatchina

Intercession Cathedral in Gatchina
Intercession Cathedral in Gatchina 


The largest church in the Leningrad region - the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos - was built in Gatchina from 1895 to 1914. When creating the Orthodox Church, the authors strove to bring to life the idea of the resurrection of the primordial Russian style. However, the project was changed more than once by the architect L. Kharlamov and the engineer A. Baryshkin, in the end they managed to realize only a small part of the ideas. Read this article Great Gatchina Palace in Leningrad.

The Intercession Cathedral was erected on the site of a two-story wooden house, which is part of the convent complex in Gatchina. Over time, the temporary church was abolished, and the modern church received three limits - in the name of Alexander Nevsky, Nicholas the Wonderworker, and the Intercession.

The decoration of the Intercession Cathedral in Gatchina was never completed due to the outbreak of the First World War and the October Revolution. Therefore, for many years the facade of the majestic building remained brick, only in 2011 it was plastered. Before that, red walls were adjacent to a snow-white bell tower and blue domes.

In the 1930s, the temple was given over to a warehouse, and services were resumed there only in 1991. In 1996, in the basement of the Intercession Cathedral, a lower church was built in the name of John of Kronstadt.

Address: st. Krasnaya, 1., Gatchina.



Previous Post Next Post