Cathedral Of The Archangel - Moscow City, Russia

Cathedral Of The Archangel - Moscow City, Russia 

Cathedral Of Archangel in Moscow City Russia
Cathedral Of Archangel 

The white and stately Archangel Cathedral is quiet and gloomy inside. He seems to be filled with deep sadness. And it is understandable why - under these arches lie the great Moscow princess and Russian tsars, from Ivan Kalita to Fyodor Michael, the leader of the angelic army and the Head of the future Last Judgement. He is in charge of escorting the souls of the righteous to the gates of paradise.

It is believed that the stone Cathedral of the Archangel was built in 1333, dismantling the old wooden church. Allegedly, Ivan Kalita did this in memory of the disaster that had passed Russia, or the plague, or the famine from a poor harvest. They put him in the newly consecrated church, and then two sons. This is how the tradition of burying the great dukes, autocrats and members of their  families here was established. Already in his declining years, in 1505, Tsar Ivan III decided to complete the grandiose reconstruction of the Moscow Kremlin with the construction of a worthy burial vault. He entrusted this work to the Italian Aleviz, nicknamed the New. But he did not see the result of his work, becoming the first king to rest in unfinished temple. Tennis - Sports In Russia

The Architecture of the Archangel Cathedral

The five-domed and five-apse building was erected on 6 pilllars. Wall material - brick with white stone finish. The architect built the temple in the Russian style, decorating with details typical of Venetian basilicas of the Renaissance. These are capitals on pilasters in the form of leaves, zakomaras with "shells", a combination of round windows of different diameters on the facades. The Central dome is hemispherical gold, 4 side ones are helmet-shaped silver, which is typical for Cathedral consecrated in the name of Saint and Archangels. They rest on tall drums with narrow windows.

The walls and the iconostasis were first painted only under Ivan the Terrible, but practically nothing has survived from these frescoes. In the middle of the 17th century, the interior was updated, biographies of Princes and kings became new subjects. 


Burials were carried out according to strict rules. The Rurikovichs lie along the walls, the Romanovs - at the pilllars in the center of the hall. For Ivan the Terrible and his sons, a special tomb was built in the altar part. The bodies were placed under marble slabs, and sarcophagi with gravestone inscriptions were placed on top of them. Exceptions were made only for the relics of Tsarevich Dimitri, Saint Prince Mikhail of Chernigov and his boyar Fyodor, who were martyred in the Horde. They rest in reliquaries and are available for worship by believers. In 1928, the female burials of the Romanovs ' house from the destroyed Ascension Monastery were transferred to the basement crypt.

Divine services in the church are held only on patronal holidays and memorial days on Radonitsa. Hotels in Moscow City Russia

Previous Post Next Post